Friday, January 16, 2009

Year 1 recap

A little bit of a story... I spent a large amount of 2007 sitting in hospital rooms while my partner was battling cancer (a battle ultimately lost). I had a lot of time and needed to keep my mind going, so I worked harder on being able to solve crossword puzzles. The Listener was a great one for passing long periods of time in sterile environments, but even with all that time I was a terrible solver. In 2007 I solved three completely (3918: Factory, 3953: Resolution and 3959: Inflation), and got very close on four others (3934: Surprise, 3935: Two Down, 3936: Convert, and 3961: Invitation).

So to go from three to 27 is pretty stunning. And it's been fun and a huge eye-opener blogging the experience and finding there is an audience for write-ups, bad jokes, and success and failure. And also to find that crossword setters and solvers are a forgiving and fun bunch - I was really anticipating some backlash, and got none.

Special thank you to setters who have read, commented and emailed - I am in awe of your efforts. Samuel, Homer, Phi, Ploy, and a component of Mango have all given me some pointers and are always a fun email.

Thanks also to the regular commenters, it's nice to know I'm not alone in struggling with some puzzles.

Here are a few Top 3s...

My 3 favorite puzzles that I solved.

3963: Carte Blanche by Homer - No way did I think I was going to get this... no gridlines, extra words, the sort of puzzle I would have given up on a few years ago. But clue by tiny clue I just got more and more and eventually had it.

3989: Key Cutting by Lavatch - Fear of Letters Latent overcome! Another piece by piece solve (I finished it the night before I wrote it up).

3965: Solitaire by Xanthippe - I never thought that scissors would be used in solving a crossword. I should have taken a picture of myself with all those little bits of paper.

My 3 favorite puzzles that I didn't solve.

3977: City Tour by Mango - I got close on this, but really loved how it worked

4006: We interrupt this programme... by Phi - Phi sent me an email saying that I shouldn't have gotten so much thematic material without solving, and then gave me some hints and pointed me at where to get better at solving his style of clue. Can't thank you enough!

3986: Terminal Suspension by Schadenfreude - I made a real mess of this in the end, took a wrong turn at Alberqueque and it was downhill from there, but I liked the puzzle a lot.

So now to year 2... I'll be keeping up my little blog - the bar has been set and the target to beat is 27. Feel free to add your tally, your comments, and anything else you like or dislike (I promise to not use that ghastly yellow paper I have a pile of anymore). See you next week for the first puzzle of 2009, hope you've got your new Chambers - according to amazon, mine has made it to the US and is in the hands of DHL.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on coming out on top, George, and thanks for mentioning Carte Blanche in your summary. I've enjoyed your blog over the last year, and I look forward to reading more from you over the next year. I feel sure that you will have another successful Listener year! Wishing you all the best.

Unknown said...

I agree with you on Carte Blanche and Solitaire, but I made a mess of Key Cutting. However, I did manage to solve Terminal Suspension, which was my first success with a Schadenfreude puzzle.

I think I managed 18 correct last year (although I did have to take a couple of months off them in the summer), so 27 at the first attempt is a pretty good effort (and my target for this year :-))

Andy (linxit from T4T)

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated your blog over the last year. It's good to hear from someone who has the same difficulties (and to share the successes).
You beat me comfortably in 2008, so the target for 2009 is to get closer!
Here's to a successful 2009
Robert

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog midway through 2008 and have been an avid follower ever since. I'm delighted you're going to continue your battle with the Listener in 2009 and I wish you well.

I think I managed a grand total of five or six last year. I don't attempt it every week (time constraints) and there are plenty where I fail to get even to first base, but you give me hope that I can get better. Thank you.