Friday, January 9, 2009

Slipper found!

I'm on the road, so this is going to be a quick report, and without a grid until I get back home.

My first two thoughts as to what the game could be (since there were other children preventing things having to be done) were MUSICAL CHAIRS and BRITISH BULLDOG, the latter maybe being too violent for a Listener? The second letter in 1 down coming out as a U gave me hope for removing chairs from answers, but those hopes were dashed with 16 not being cot.

The rest of it was fun, and I solved it without having Bradford's or Chambers available (I was in Texas), though googling was needed to find the quotation, which ended up necessary to finish the lower left corner of the grid (apropos for Texas).

Took a little shoehorning to get the title SLIPPERY CUSTOMER since I was looking for some form of COBBLER (I jumbled the letters and tried to make it SUPREMITY COBBLER) in there to the point of inventing a boy's name starting with B for the letters that gave SEBASTIAN... then I realised I didn't have to jumble the first letters of the names and the answer was sitting in front of me (just like it was last week but I managed to get the last bit this time).

Last puzzle for year one coming up next week, but I scraped in success in trying to get half of the Listeners out for the year... current tally: George 27, Listener 24. Current streak: George 1.

listener4013

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got slightly the wrong end of the stick with this one, looking for a quotation from Brewers to round the outisde, and failing dismally. I found slippery customer and the pair of slippers to shade, so by my low standards of proof, I count this one as a draw!

New edition of Brewers on Christmas present list for 2009. I like the new Chambers - the fonts are a nice touch!

George the Bastard said...

Still waiting for my chambers here, watch there be a bunch of words from the latest edition in the next crossword.

Anonymous said...

Dear George, Here we are in 2009, and 2008 (see preamble) seems to have ground to a halt, so you might feel that your mission is accomplished: but, like many others, I think this has been a hugely enjoyable and instructive blog. PLEASE keep it up! I write as another 50% successful Listener solver, and I am one of many who would miss you enormously if you gave it up, so DON'T, OK?