Friday, May 2, 2008

So near, and yet so far? dhu? tour? fare? aaaargh!!!

listener3977_1

This one looked pretty straightforward, words in clues had to be shifted to the right, then afterwards some moving of "words" (curious quotation marks - my first thought was that maybe these are computer words, so I'd be moving bytes around). The last few weeks have been pretty busy, and I haven't had long breaks where I could work on solving. OK, plan of attack...

14 clues are normal, 32 need words moved, so always be looking for words to move. And the initial grid is going to be all real words, so let's grab chambers word wizards and Bardford's and solve away...

I didn't make a great start on this, a few clusters of words, mostly in the bottom half of the grid. There were some clever clues, my first "set of 4" appeared with the last 4 across clues - BOATEL as TOWABLE damaged minus W, VEAL as five each pound, INLY as Milton's entirely, and trashy UNITED STATES, no TUNE (this was an awesome clue) giving DISTASTE.

The top right of the grid turned out to be a heavy slog, and there are a few guesses up above (MEER, ORDE, ARED) where I can't quite get the wordplay together. However I now have a completed (fingers crossed) grid, and sets of 4 where the coordinates have to be. I can't see the name of the creator of the theme, but there's a suspicious TOUR near the top right.

Here's where it gets thorny...

I can't tell in 1ac if the word to be moved is balls (making the definition "battered and deep fried balls") or essentially ("battered and fried balls, essentially). This means the first word to be moved is either at B,R (LA, LAR, LART?) or E,R (FAR, FARE). The latter looks more promising. The other two "words" to be moved start at C,Q (hey, there's my TOUR) and D,P (DHU - that's a type of pilgrimage, so looks probable).

Good news is that the moves do seem to correlate with the letters moved, so I have

BR -> MV, CQ -> HS, MV -> LT, DP -> MT, LT -> DR, HS -> CV and DR -> CV

Apparently HR,HW is useful, originally it reads EVADAS, when I move TOUR there it says ETOURS.

And this is where we come to a crashing halt... no combination of my moved words gives me either of the things I need, complete words in the grid and 18 blank squares. This is the most promising combination of moving around my "words", and it has 20 blank cells

A f a l a f e l s i m a m
B o r a l a r t a m a l e
C r e p f a r e e
D s s o m e r
E w a y e q s o r t
F e t b r s u c c u s f h
G a r i e l k e a b e l e
H r u n e s t y c
J s n a t h s o b e r e r
K t n u c l e a r t o g a
L a i r y i t o u r e d
M b o a t e d h u a l
N i n l y d i s t a s t e

O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


It's possible that I don't have to move the whole of TOUR, but that just doesn't seem right. I thought I had it, but Mango, you have bested me. I can't think of a better word than ARED at 2D, but even so, changing the number of letters I move there from 2 up to 5 doesn't help with the number of empty cells. It was an interesting battle, but victory to the Listener crossword.

Current tally: Listener 6, George 9. Current streak, Listener 1.

5 comments:

George the Bastard said...

I'm kicking myself now... if I'd seen DHANOI, I would have gotten this. UFREET got me, and then not liking the look of LA I picked the wrong row to move. And I've used that game so many times in mathematics and computer science classes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, George.

According to Wolfram, the problem is isomorphic to finding a Hamiltonian path on an n-hypercube (Gardner 1957, 1959).

I didn't know that. I still don't know it.

Chief Typist
Mango

George the Bastard said...

Yikes, setters are tuning in in droves. The number of moves to solve a tower of hanoi is a pretty standard mathematical formula. Now I know what I missed, I think it was a terrific puzzle, and I feel soundly put in my place.

Anonymous said...

Having solved the grid, but not being absolutely certain about some of the pairs which indicate the coordinates I set about much "cut and pasting" in a spreadsheet copy. I had seen La, Tour and Hanoi, but not D before it. All the more irritating as a mathematician by trade myself!

I do think, though, that answers really need to "clunk" into place in preparation for a puzzle like this, and some of the answers didn't quite do that, for me at least. A good theme, though, and yes, very clever with hindsight!

George the Bastard said...

Glad to hear I wasn't the only "so close and yet so far" on this one. I agree with the cleverness of the theme (and the dogged revision that went into it, check Listen with others).