Friday, December 26, 2008

Re-solved

listener4011002

Hope everyone overindulged yesterday and are feeling as good as I am this morning!

I was looking forward to a bash at this, since Listener 3806, "New Year's Revolution" was one of my extremely rare solves a few years ago and a really fun puzzle to boot. And I've been on a bit of a roll lately, so let's see what I can make of Conflict Resolution.

Lots of clashes, symmetrically places (one of the first things that struck me was the extra symmetry of the grid, we have 90 degree symmetry as well as 180). 12 normal clues, 12 with misprints in definition, 12 with misprints in wordplay (we are going for the symmetry), and a method for resolving clashes.

Clues time: I did pretty well the first time around and spotted some clashes quickly. Since there's only 12 clashes, and no more than one per word, confidently write in the rest of the letters. I found the bottom half of the grid easier than the top here, my first clash was 31ac SA,LI,CLAW (misspelling of sEx appeal) and 22 down (CANULA, anagram, misspelling of Narrow tube). Now if the 90 degree thing comes into play, then there is a clash where 17ac (LEAN-TO, misspelling of Power failing) meets 14d (which I didn't know), where 10ac (didn't know) meets 3 down (YOU BET, misspelling of undeNiably), and where 24ac (OPINED, misspelling sAid ones piece) meets 9d (LEASOWED, anagram with misspelling of leo Sawed).

This is looking probable, and means I only have two other clashes to find... NANNYISH at 1ac and ETHYLENE at 4d means there's one where 15d meets 18ac, 33ac meets 16d, 8d meets 21ac, and my last clash is 29a IMP,AWN (misprint of Hock), meets 26d (AMIE, misprint of uS).

At this point I had a mostly full grid, and the correct letters gave

S-MOF---SHESANDMISP--NTS. Sum of clashes and misprints! Seeing the message got most of the last clues, and at this point I had the grid above.

OK, let's add up the clashes and misprints. And to make sure there's no mistakes, let's do it in a spiral-bound notebook

listener4011003

The message looks like it's going to be MOVE ALL WORDS. It's a jigsaw! That's why things are so symmetrical, to keep the clashing/crossing pattern so close. Time for a fresh grid and a completion of the jigsaw...

listener4011001

The starting point here was the top right corner, looking for a four-letter word where the first two letters were also the first letters of six-letter words and then the last letter was the first letter of an eight-letter words came down to two possibilities, but once I saw where NACHOS could fit with AECIUM, ROSETREE and SAHIBA, I took the plunge and was done... almost.

I still had an empty entry at 19down (now at 27 across), and with no help from the movement (since anything that was unchecked before remains unchecked now). I don't have Collins, but they have a 9-day free trial on their website - no end of googling possible combinations gave me a suitable word, so I took the plunge on the trial and found ZILPAH. Sorry to take advantage of your generosity there, Collins.

Fun puzzle, Kea, and even better, a victory for George and a very late charge at the end of the year, might be able to end on a new high! Current tally: George 25, Listener 22. Current streak, George 4! And with only three puzzles left in the year I'm guaranteed at least a tie, woohooo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you George. I was mystified by this one; a simple matter of finding the clues too hard to solve. Pressure of work yes, but I am not sure a week's holiday would have helped.