Friday, December 19, 2008

Blog extra: two things

  • Listen with Others has a new site, a new look, and some new bloggers. Are they taking a leaf out of my book by blogging failures? Not yet, but I'll be curious to see how it goes. I may submit a more "Listen With Others-y" style blog for a puzzle in the future, I might have to make a lot of it up...
"Sunday, 3pm, in Lear Jet passing over the FA Cup final while drinking 2003 Brunello de Montalcino. Solved the first 18 clues without thinking, looks like Bastrad's giving us an easy week. Put it down so I could get an eight-handed massage. Next morning, in conversation with the Aga Khan, he reminded me that TIA can be a Spanish aunt, so 8 across has to be 'whaT I Ate last night gave me the runs'. From there it was brisk solving remembering that letters from the names of the Pakistani openers from the 1980 (Taslim Arif and Sadiq Mohammad) went into the Playfair backwards, revealing, as I had suspected all along that alternate letters in the perimeter read 'If enough alcohol you do sup, rest assured you will throw up', and allowing MONK D'WALLY D'HONK to appear in the opposite diagonal. All finished in time for port on the deck of the QE 2".

I love Listen With Others - check it out!

  • Congratulations to Gordius for getting a Sarah Palin reference in today's Guardian crossword. I haven't laughed so hard at a clue in months.
OK, now to work on the blog for 4010.

No comments: