Friday, December 5, 2008

Knit where?

listener4008001

After my embarrassment of the last two weeks, I'm really eager to get one right... is this the week?

149 is a new setter, so I don't really know what to expect, but I was expecting a preamble. I actually thought that there was going to be a correction that included a preamble, but there wasn't, there was a two-letter correction of the title. Hmmm...

I guess it's some sort of knitting pattern, which could mean changing letters around, moving them up and down. Some of the clues has asterisks, is that where something is cast off? Jumbled? Am I overthinking this?

Cold solving time... 1ac is VALET,A so the answer has the same number of letters as the grid entry. 11 is C,LOW,NS with an appropriately creepy surface. 12 is MOUSER (O in MUSER), 15 is CANT, 16 is TRITON... so far some pretty accessable clues. Do the downs fit with them? No sirree... 1 is DEC,ODES which doesn't match any crossing letters, yikes! 2 is A,L,ARMS which matches a few letters, 3 is FOR,INT which also matches two letters.

This is becoming a mess, and what can the p and k mean?

I cold solved as many clues as I could, and filled in the grid with all the words I was "sure" of, putting the across answers in the top and the down on the side. That gave me almost the grid that you see at the start of the entry. There were some match-ups, and a few promising features...

27 down, which had an asterisk (and I had no idea what the answer was), read WOOLLY - knitwear, hmmm
28 down also looked like a name, ELSIE
8 down was GULLIVER. If I kept the U, then I could turn it into PULLOVER, another piece of knitwear. Does this mean k means "keep" and p means "change"? Is there a logic to why G becomes P and I becomes O. GP? IO?
If I apply that to 6 down, BRAN could become ARAN. Also 26 SWEATER, 38 JUMPER. And since 27 is all the second letter of across entries (which are "kept"), it is WOOLLY. That leaves 43, which is --R-E-... I guessed at JERSEY.

Time for a new grid...

listener4008002

Putting together all the letters that were "k", I then had to fill some breaks and come back to the unsolved clues. 31 down was not ROLLER as I thought, but BEETLE.

This didn't give me a complete grid - there were some squares that were "p" for both halves or were unchecked and "p". Since it's all real words, I did have to poke around in Chambers word wizards to find the last few letters to go in - I'm not 100% convinced about the upper right corner (New England). If there was a pattern to "p", I'm afraid I've missed it.

But I'm calling this a victory (I know I tried that last week) to George, and tying the battle up going into the last handful of puzzles. Current tally: George 22, Listener 22. Current streak, George 1.

I was trying to think of a song that went along with this one, and for some reason I thought Alexei Sayle had a song about wearing jumpers, but I can't quite trace it. I did find this one, where he (and Marshall and Renwick) predicted the demise of Jonathan Ross almost 20 years ago.



Edit: The much hipper and thinner than I Chris Lancaster in the comments (he's working on a newer betterer Listen With Others site), reminds me that the song was "Where's My Jumper" by the Sultans of Ping.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The jumpers song that you're thinking of was probably the excellent "Where's My Jumper?" by The Sultans of Ping FC circa 1993. It featured the memorable chorus:

Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper - wait a minute, where's my jumper?

George the Bastard said...

Thanks Chris - that was exactly the song I was thinking of, no idea why I might have thought it was Alexei Sayle... If the link doesn't work in comments, I'll put it at the end of the blog as an edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsHXX_HLKs

Anonymous said...

I got the significance of k and p pretty early (knitting goes on often when I am incommunicado doing these!) and guessed k would mean plain, whereas p would mean something else. Have I missed something in that purling effectively means "find some word in Chambers that fits"? If so, then I am left feeling a little short changed.

By the way, thank you for the continuing musical education - your blog is inspirational in so many ways!

George the Bastard said...

You can thank Chris for the final piece of musical inspiration.

I'm with you on the finale, I was hoping there would be some significance to what p means - it made the top left a real game of hide-and-seek (hooray for word wizards and quinihoweveryouspellit, without which I would have gotten nowhere on another puzzle, but that's a story for next Friday).