Friday, July 10, 2009

Inability

listener4039

Here we go with Intimacy - I haven't managed to finish a Bandmaster Listener before. First thing that hit me when I printed off the grid was "that's a lot of clues". The preamble sounded kind of gentle, 14 answers need modification, and with a very large number of clues, that shouldn't be too many. So most clues are normal and most answers are to be entered as normal.

And I stared at it

And I stared at it

And I stared at it

In my customary bar solve session, after a full hour I only had AGORA, CAPSULE, PERONIST, SHOELACE and ZOOTOMY. And a couple of Chambers and Bradfords sessions later, I'm still not much further along with the grid. And now I have clashes all over the place. Two of them seem to be N/S clashes, so maybe directions need to be changed in some of the words?

The shape of the grid may be a clue, it looks kind of like those truncated tennis courts they use for indoors singles matches, but I don't think that would be it. Maybe a scoreboard?

Well done Bandmaster, try as I might I could not get very far on this at all. I'm really curious to see what it was I missed, but I'm feeling pretty stupid right around now.

Victory to the Listener Crossword! 2009 tally: Listener 8, George 17. Current streak: Listener 1

Well, nothing says intimacy like remixes of Yoko Ono, so here's "Kiss Kiss Kiss" remixed by one of my favorite artists, Peaches (she can make Yoko listenable!).



Feel free to leave comments, criticisms, and advice on wordplay, and see you next week for shock and Hubris!

2 comments:

Duncan said...

I can certainly identify with you, in that I stared at this one for a week, only getting 7 or 8 answers. I had managed to get Diesel at 22ac, and had enough to begin to see Leeds appearing. Oldham 1 quickly followed (on my mind since I had been working there that week), and the rest dropped out within an hour.

Right on the cusp of my ability, but most enjoyable to get it out in the end.

A nice restoration of the sporting balance too - whoever heard of baseball after all?!

George the Bastard said...

Yeah, this was the comeuppance for getting the baseball one out so fast.