Friday, August 22, 2008

Argentdum

listener3993001

The dreaded Palyfair square... I have not even attempted a crossword with such a beastie, and I didn't even get to filling out the square here.

This is the first Radix Listener I've attempted, I wasn't doing them regularly in 2005 when the last one appeared, but I have read some of Radix' postings on the Crossword Centre. And it looked like it had some elements I could get into - words needing to be removed, leding to a phrase.

But time really caught up on me these last few weeks with a move, a couple of big shows and some other commitments and this one kind of fell by the wayside. I only spent two long sessions with Chambers and Bradfords and couldn't crack all that many of the clues, and no enough to start to make the message appear.

And after a few good shots I'm starting to feel like a beginner again. Sorry, Radix, it looked like a really nice challenge that I wasn't up to. And with the corrections that were pointed out for last week (I thought that was LAR+DO at 22 down), that makes two in a row that I've missed!

Current tally: George 17, Listener 14. Current streak, Listener 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the same view on Playfairs it seems to me. I can sometimes manage them in Azed - but with all these extra twists I am left floored. I did finish the grid, apart from the permutations, and got the instruction - leaving me none the wiser!

Play-unfair, I say!

George the Bastard said...

I've read it all too, and I don't think I would have gotten there. I really didn't have the time to spend on this, after reading and solving a few clues, I realised I should have done a lot better than I did. Getting to a full grid is pretty impressive.