Friday, July 11, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4, fizz, 6, buzz, 8, 9, fizz, 11, 12, 13, buzz, fizz - when do I get a drink?

Before I get on with the blog, a little personal sad note, today would have been my partner's 29th birthday. If you have a loved one, give them a smile today.

listener3987001

The horror of seeing a grid without bars! The only crossword without bars I've ever completed was Carte Blanche by Homer. The puzzle is by BeRo - one of the first Listeners I attempted, and one that got me hooked on trying to solve them was an earlier puzzle by BeRo that turned into a letter sudoku.

I remember "fizz buzz" from elementary school, but have never done it as a drinking game. It's too mathematical for my American friends. Answers change direction when they hit a wall (hey, so do I!), or when one of the fizz or buzz letters is encountered. That would be E, G, J, N, O, T, U Y. And they can start in any direction... off to solve as many clues as I can, so I can at least put the starting letters in place.

There's a lot of clues!!!!!!

Some of them start in the same box, so I can get a few starting letters. It looks to me like getting 32, 33, 36 and 37 would be really helpful (though that turned out not to be the case).

To cut a very long story short... I came up way short on this one. I got a little more than half the clues, but not enough to really construct the grid. With E, N, T, and O causing a change in direction, that's going to happen pretty often. I tried fitting some of the longer words with fewer direction changes first (BODHI TREES, TITANOMACHY, LYDFORD LAW), but I think starting from the middle and working outwards might have been a better approach.

My real problem here was being unable to solve enough of the clues to get moving. Sorry, BeRo, you had some clues I really liked, but I'm going to spend some time on the ones that really stumped me. It's complicated on this type of puzzle, because until you get a lot filled in, I can't see where I could get checking letters from, until I know that the twists and turns of the answers get me there.

Here is where I'm truly lost...

1) There is a 13-letter word for "outgrowth" in Bradford's, but I can't fit it to the wordplay at all.
3) I wanted IGNORAMUS or some form of that here, but trying to fit anagrams of IMAGES doesn't help me.
6) Less avant-garde?
12) Is this a subtraction anagram? It must be a well-written clue because I can't find a definition
15) ??? S-M-?
17) -ADL--- -ALD---... help me out, vocabulary
20) baffled
23) also looks like a subtraction clue, but can't see what to lose
25) Both of them. Eeeks
45) Can't wait to see what I was meant to do with this.

So well done, BeRo - it looks like a really nice puzzle, but it's got me today - and you have nearly erased my once-comfortable lead in this battle!

Current tally: Listener 12, George 13. Current streak: Listener 2.

2 comments:

George the Bastard said...

I've just gotten the rest of the clues, and worked through the crossword again. Looks like there were a few that I missed that were really needed to get the grid started - WALDORF SALAD, which I should have gotten, gave eight letters in a row, and with where the clue started, it was unlikely to hit an edge again. ICONOCLASM similarly has 6 letters in a row. There were some abbreviations I'd never seen before (ZO for cross) that I'll have to file in memory.

Anonymous said...

I got a little further than you George (unusually!) but still missing some crucial clues to discover the two missing words. Having a rough patch at the moment!